Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Since Thanksgiving is coming up, we’ve been thinking about what it is that we're especially thankful for as temporary residents of Nepal. As I’m sitting here typing, Dick is teaching Assim (age 8) to play Blackjack – pretty soon he’ll be taking money from all the other kids! Oy… maybe we should be thankful for a 10 and a face card...

What We’re Thankful For:

* Hot water for my bucket bath
* Electricity
* A seat in the micro that doesn’t have a metal piece underneath to stick me in the bum
* Clear days when I can see the Himalayas
* A green salad with arugula at Fire & Ice in Kathmandu
* Delicious cardamom spice tea made by Pabitra
* Reading under the covers with a flashlight
* The wonderful teachers and social workers I’ve met here – especially, of course, my friend Bonnie
* Sewing tennis ball bags with the younger girls (who knew we needed them?)
* Going to the climbing wall with the big kids
* Thanksgiving dinner at Mike’s Breakfast
* My daily hugs from Aruneema
* Glowing rice fields and yellow meadows of mustard
* The beautiful faces of the children that we see every day
* Most importantly… our wonderful family and friends around the world

Thank you for your friendship – may you have a day full of joy and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment