Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Mexico Dreamin'

Drove the high road from Taos to Santa Fe today... and on to Socorro. Images of New Mexico will stay with us...

* Handsome young Pueblo man, shining black ponytail, obsidian eyes, silver hatband on his black hat, leaning back on his heels in his bootcut jeans, talking on a cell phone in Taos Plaza

* The cook at the Mabel Dodge Luhan House who found yak roasts to serve visiting Tibetan monks... because her neighbor outside Taos grazes yaks in his pastures

* The little brown church at Sanctuario de Chimayo, where handicapped, injured or ill pilgrims use the dirt from the river bottom to heal themselves

* Panoramic views from the High Road - tall mountains shrouded in white snow, foothills in the middle distance, soft pink and dotted with sage, green fields where black horses graze. Reminds me of my mother's favorite Navajo prayer...

It is beautiful above me
It is beautiful below me
It is beautiful beside me
It is beautiful outside
It is beautiful inside
It is beautiful all around me

No comments:

Post a Comment